Hi all if you are getting this it means I made it to the Hilton again. I am currently writing this Tuesday night on the floor of our room (for chsfs families, we got the first floor balcony room and it is great) by a crack in the door while m is sleeping.
Our first evening went well, we certainly had help throughout confirming our flight and then about twobhours of free time in which we took out all our toys, put them back away, and repeat three to four times.
Dinner went quite well, it helps that there are three other children here. And then it was bath, another mom offered to help and it was appreciated! Lotion and then some really big pjs and then we watched some Ethiopian music videos on the tv. Bedtime was a little bit of a challenge (hence me on the floor of our room in the dark) but that is too be expected, even though he is only one year younger then Kenny, developmentally we are a ways off.
One special event tonight was the call home. I have been showingnhim a photo album of rob and Kenny for the past two days, so when he got on the phone with rob a huge daddy! Was heard....now mind you I had barely heard any Amharic,but daddy was clear as a bell. Then Kenny got on the phone and a big Kenny! Was said...insert major tears from mom. The dads here notice that Minalachew is sizing them up to see if they are his dad, but I have a feeling on Friday when they meet it will be well worth the wait for both.
This morning the farewell ceremony was amazing. The children all sat so well and m looked awesome in his traditional Ethiopian outfit. The cake was by far the funniest point, when they went to hand him the knife to cut the cake, he just went for it with his hands...certainly gave me perspective on what he has and hasn't experienced thus far in his life.
Saying goodbye ton his friends might have been harder on mom then m, but knowing some of the families waiting home for these little ones makes anyone's heart break, however I know a reunion is in store during 2012.
Tomorrow am is a cooking demo, which I might have to video tape and then show to someone back home since cooking has never been my skill, and then we have the rest of the day to, Thursday we get visa, passport and then leave Ethiopia Thursday night, we are planning to make it back to minnesota Friday afternoon, and have the best Christmas ever.
I hope to reblog more next week, anyone who has ever attempted to adopt an Ethiopian child solo on trip two may appreciate the slacking on my part....well it is 7:30, he is finally asleep, and I am enjoying just one more evening of the calls to prayer heard throughout addis abba.
I know I keep saying this over and over, but Jessica, I am so happy for you.
ReplyDelete